It’s October, it’s rainy, and you’ve had it up to here with all those dang right-handed turns at cyclocross races. Here at the JBMV, we get it. Here’s what you need to know about racing at Burnaby this year.
- Burnaby has regular Friday night racing from 6:30 to 9pm, as well as a three big race weekends: Fall Bare Bones (Nov 8,9,10), Western Challenge (Jan 17,18,19) and Spring Bare Bones (Mar 20,21,22).
What you need:
- Your normal race stuff, maybe with a slightly smaller gear
- Some JBMV merch so you can show your hometrack pride
- The proper licensing. Be sure to check the website for all the details you’ll need.
- Something warm for between races – the bubble gets cold!
What you need to know:
- There is a minimum speed on this track – about 17mph.
Come early to get used to pushing through the tight turns.
- Racing is Youth/Novice/C/B/A – push yourself, but it’s okay to race down if you’ve gone full in to off-season hibernation mode!
- Sprints come at you fast on a 200 meter track. If you aren’t coming over the top with 1 to go you might be too late!
- Miss ‘n’ out’s are every other lap, not every lap!
- Stop at the Tim Hortons on your way to the track for some Timbits and you’re sure to make a bunch of new friends!
Who should do this?
- Anyone who is keen for some off-season excitement.
- Anyone who wants to jumpstart their racecraft – learning to race on a new track changes how you think during a race, and is especially valuable if you plan on going to Nationals.
- If you’re unsure if you’re ready to try another track out, and any Cat 4’s who are interested, reach out to Amara firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.